Monday, April 8, 2019

Don't forget to stop and smell the flowers.



     For anyone who may have been wondering if I am still alive, I'm glad to say 
that I am still here.  I have recently had another of those uncomfortable reminders
that we are all here on borrowed time, and at my stage of life, those precious, 
borrowed days and hours are dwindling away, ever more rapidly.  My reminder
of the transitory nature of life, was a severe case of the flu, which evolved into a
persistent battle with bronchitis.  All in all, I have been out of commission for a 
couple of months, but I will try to post more art to my blog soon, now that I'm 
on the mend.  
     The brighter and warmer days of April are helping to lift the spirits of many 
of us, here in the center of the country.  February and March were unusually
cold and snowy.  Ice and snow were on the ground for so many days that it was
hazardous to try and get out and walk around, and being house-bound does not 
contribute to improving one's health or mood.  
     
      As so frequently happens here, where Mother Nature is so fickle and untrustworthy, 
the sudden, warm weather has tricked the flowering trees and spring bulbs to burst 
out into full bloom, before the danger of a freeze is over.   Now our weather 
forecasters are saying that a freeze is coming before this weekend.  So, when Saturday
morning arrives, the spectacular magnolia and daffodil blossoms will have been 
reduced to spoiled, brown decay-matter.  That will be yet another reminder for all of us,
to follow the poet's advice, and "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.", both literally
and figuratively.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment