Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Seedling For Van Gogh




                                           An original charcoal and tempera painting, on toned paper
                                           12x9" unframed, (mat size, 18x15")
                                           $400.00, - (plus $20.00, pack and ship)

     Some decades back, I did a useful series of paintings in this size format, in which I
purposely limited myself to using charcoal and a few jars of leftover tempera paints,on
manila toned paper.  There are still a half dozen or more of them around, and this bright
and lively little expressionist painting of a lemon tree seedling is one of the remainders
of that group.  The series was useful to me because it was a good exercise in the use
of heightened color and strong, visible brushwork.  I find that those are good lessons
for me to remember and apply, when I am working on paintings of a more traditional
nature, which can sometimes tend to become too subdued and muted in color and
technique.  
                                                            (click on image to enlarge)


     Giclee fine-art prints of this painting are available.

No comments:

Post a Comment