Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Sentinel Pines, No. 3


                                                  An original watercolor painting
                                                  18x24", unframed - (mat size, 24x30")
                                                  $2,000.00, (plus $25.00, pack and ship)

     There is a large acreage near here, where at some point earlier in the twentieth
century, a long, double row of little pine trees was planted along the slope of a hill
or berm.  The trees were probably planted to provide some privacy screening,
with little thought given to how big they would eventually grow or how closely together
the trees were planted.  Later on, when I first saw the trees, they had matured into
a substantial, evergreen avenue, standing stately and strong, along the contours
of the hillside.
     I did four successive watercolors of the pines, from one point of view, beginning
with a very traditional, representational study of the trees, paying careful attention to
detail in the painting.  But that first painting didn't quite satisfy what I wanted to achieve
with the subject, so I continued to experiment with the additional attempts.  With each
successive try, I kept pushing for a more expressive feel to my renditions of the pines
and the landscape.
     The first two paintings of the series, which had the more traditional, detailed landscape
approach, are now long gone, but the third and fourth paintings are still here.  The one
I'm showing in this posting was the third one I painted.  In this version, I had moved on
to a more expressive use of line and color, which now looks something like a Derain
or one of the other Fauvists, but I think it does capture some of the drama of the light
and shadow of the trees.
                                                           (click on image to enlarge)


No comments:

Post a Comment