Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Sentinel Pines, No. 4




                                                       An original watercolor painting
                                                       18x24" unframed, - (mat size, 24x30")
                                                       $2,000.00, (plus $25.00, pack and ship)

     This painting was the fourth in this series, and my final interpretation of this landscape
with pine trees, as seen from this one vantage point.  In this last version, I was pushing 
even stronger, to get a more expressive rendition of the scene, using more vigorous 
strokes of the brush, and deeper color.  By comparison to the first three paintings of this 
scene, this final one became nearly abstract, with even more interest in a feel for the 
dynamic shapes of the trees and shadows, rather than details of branches and foliage.
     Perhaps I was subconsciously feeling an influence of Franz Kline or one of the 
other abstract-expressionists at the time, but I think it was simply a more personal
exploration for me, to see where my feelings about that scene on that day, would take me.  

                                                          (click on image to enlarge)


No comments:

Post a Comment