Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Contented Pelican




                                                     An original pencil drawing on illustration board
                                                     15x20" unframed, (mat size, 21x26")
                                                     $125.00, - (plus $25.00, pack and ship)

     As with most older artists, I still have large stacks of drawings waiting for me, to
be gone through and sorted out.  Some of the more finished studies that I find, may
be of interest to the viewers of this blog, such as this pencil rendering of a seated
pelican.  I recall that when I drew it, I had an excellent model for the drawing;
the bird never moved a muscle for the whole afternoon because it was a permanent
resident of a natural history museum.....a stuffed and mounted example of the art of
taxidermy.

                                                        (click on image to enlarge)


      Viewing a pelican often reminds of a well known, old limerick by Edward Lear.

A wonderful bird is the pelican.
His beak can hold more than his belly can.
He can hold in his beak
Enough food for a week!
But I'll be damned if I know how the hellican?

No comments:

Post a Comment